An Overview of Sri Lanka's Trade Policy
Sri Lanka has been practicing an open economic policy since 1977. The economy has been growing steadily during the past few years with a rate of over 8% in 2014. GDP growth remains one of the healthiest in the region at 7.3% with per capita income at USD 3,191 in 2013. The country also has a high literacy rate of 95.6% and an unemployment rate of 4.4%.
The main exports are textiles and apparel, tea and spices, rubber products, precious stones, coconut products and fish. Sri Lanka is world famous for tea and overseas employment of Sri Lankans is also a significant contributor to the economy. Key imports include petroleum, textiles, machinery and transportation equipment, building materials, mineral products, foodstuffs. Sri Lanka's main markets include USA, UK, Japan, China, India and the Middle East. Among the main import markets are Japan, India, UK, USA, among others.
Sri Lanka has signed Free Trade Agreements with India, Pakistan and China. It is also a member of the South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA), APTA, BIMSTEC and a member of the G-15.
Sri Lanka has been successfully moving towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals and has achieved halving poverty, gender equality and education goals.
The Ministry of Industry and Commerce and particularly its Department of Commerce, is tasked with Sri Lanka's trade policy, implantation and promotion, especially overseas.
For more information please visit the following websites:
Ministry of Industry and Commerce: www.industry.gov.lk
Department of Commerce: www.doc.gov.lk
Why Invest in Sri lanka
Sri Lanka has one of strongest economies in the South Asian region, with a growth rate of over 8% in 2014. Strategically located in the Indian Ocean, with a large and dynamic services sector, an educated and skilled workforce, excellent infrastructure and global connectivity, Sri Lanka is an ideal destination for the foreign investor. The country is also fast emerging as an air, maritime, energy, knowledge and commercial hub in the region.
The Government of Sri Lanka has put in place several regulations to promote and protect foreign investment, including total foreign ownership in almost all areas of the economy. There are no restrictions on repatriation of earnings and the safety of foreign investment is guaranteed under the constitution. There is also a sophisticated and transparent legal framework in place. Sri Lanka has signed 28 bilateral investment protection agreements and 38 agreements on the avoidance of double taxation. Free trade agreements with India, Pakistan and recently with China, also provides access to these large markets.
Sri Lanka's export processing zones and industrial parks have been a linchpin in the industrial development and inflow of foreign direct investment into Sri Lanka. The country's economic development zones are seen as benchmarks of successful implementation of zone development strategies.
Sri Lanka’s strategic location in the Indian Ocean is an added incentive for the investor, as it is situated in one of the world’s most important and busiest maritime routes. The country is also well connected by air. The Government has heavily invested in infrastructure and energy. Yet, Sri Lanka is also mindful of environmental protection and sustainable development.
The Board of Investment of Sri Lanka (BOI) is the key institution regarding the promotion of investment and the one stop shop for all potential investors to Sri Lanka.
For further information regarding investing in Sri Lanka, please visit the BOI website on. www.investsrilanka.com
The Sri Lanka Export Development Board (EDB) wishes to seek proposals from suitable International Consultancy Firms/Consultants to carry out an In-depth Study on Market Entry in to India and China.
The Request for Proposal document could be downloaded from the following link.
The deadline to receive proposals: 30th September 2019 at 2.30 pm Sri Lankan time (GMT+5:30 Time Zone).
INVITATION FOR BIDS (IFB) INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVE BIDDING (ICB) Colombo South Sand Nourishment Project - Stabilization of Mt. Lavinia to Angulana Coastal Stretch Using Sand Engine Method and Restoration of Eroded Natural Sand Bar at Kalutara River Mouth
The Democratic Socilaist Republic of Sri Lanka has initiated Colombo South Sand Nourishment Project - Stabilization of Mt. Lavinia to Angulana Coastal Stretch Using Sand Engoine Method and Restoration of Eroded Natural Sand Bar at Kalutara River Mouth of Sri Lanka, with fund allocations from Government of Sri Lanka (GOSL), and intends to procure services for mining of sea sand from the intended off-shore borrow area and nourishment at Mount Lavinia to Angulana coastal stretch by Sand Engine Methodology (Proposed Stretch 1) and Re-creation of natural sand bar at Kalutara River Mouth (Proposed Stretch 2).
The Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC) on behalf of the Ministry of Mahaweli Development & Envrionment, now invites sealed bids from eligible & qualified dredging contractors for mining of Eight hundred thousand cubic meters (800,000 m3) of sea sand from off-shore borrow area extended 6 km2 from midpoint of 6°48'2.13"N, 79°49'43.62"E.
For further information, please download the bid publication here.
SRILANKAN AIRLINES LTD
REFERENCE NO: 201930309
INVITATION FOR SUBMISSION OF BIDS FOR SUPPLY, INSTALLATION, COMMISSSIONING AND MAINTENANCE OF SMALL BAGGAGE/CARGO DUAL VIEW X-RAY MACHINE & EXPLOSIVE TRACE DETECTOR
REFERENCE NO: 201930016
INVITATION FOR SUBMISSION OF BIDS FOR SUPPLY AND DELIVERY OF BLANK THERMAL BOARDING PASSES
Bid closing date: 13th August 2019
REFERENCE NO: CPIT/ICB 02/2019
INVITATION FOR SUBMISSION OF BIDS FOR THE PROVISIONING OF A BAGGAGE RECONCILIATION SYSTEM (RBS) AT BANDANARAIKE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (BIA) & MATTALA RAJAPAKSA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (MRIA) FOR SRI LANKAN AIRLINES
Bid closing date: 17th September 2019
SENIOR MANAGER COMMERCIAL
PROCUREMENT SRILANKAN AIRLINES
SALE OF HEAVY MINERAL SANDS
INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIVE BIDDING
TENDER REF. NO: LMS/MKT/TDR/19/17
The Chairman of Ministry Tender Committee, on behalf of Lanka Mineral Sands Limited, invites sealed bids from Foreign Parties who are interested in Buying following heavy mineral sands available in the Factory at Pulmoddai of Sri Lanka. The Local Parties, who wish to purchase the products and export or add further value to the products could also submit their bids.
The deatil of PRODUCTS and other RELEVANT details are in the below.
|BID SECURITY||PACKAGE AND TERMS OF DELIVERY||Delivery Terms||DATE & TIME OF TENDER CLOSING AND OPENING|
(HS 2614 00 20)
|40 Kg/Bag||Ex-Works IRZ Plant Pulmoddai||22 / 08 / 2019 at 14.00 hrs.|
(HS 2615 00 10)
|High Titanium Ilmenite
(HS 2614 00 10)
|In Bulk ("AS IS" in the existing condition|
|Low-Grade Zircon Crude
(HS 2615 00 10)
The complete Bidding Document is published in the official websites www.industry.gov.lk and www.lankamineralsands.com. The interested parties could visit the websites and download the Biding Document free of charge for reference.
Prescribed Bidding Forms authenticated and issued by the Seller should only be used for submission of bid. The authentical Bidding Forms accompanied the Bidding Document could be purchased upon payment of non-refundable payment of LKR 10,000.00 or USD 60.00 from Marketing Manager, Lanka Mineral Sands Ltd., No. 341/21, Sarana Mawatha, Rajagiriya, Sri Lanka during 0900hrs to 1500hrs on week days from 05/08/2019 to 21/08/2019.
Invitation for Bids (IFB) - Tender for the Supply, Installation, Commissioning, Maintenance of Application Software and Database Management System for Reserve Management
- This Invitation For Bids (IFB) follows the advertisement published in the newspapers on 28 and 29 July, 2019 in relation to procurement of a Reserve Management System (RMS), for the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL).
- The Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee on behalf of CBSL wishes to invite sealed bids from interested bidders for the supply, installation, commissioning, maintenance of Application Software and Database Management System (DBMS) for Reserve Management (RM), for a period of 08 years.
- The bidding process would be International Competitive Bidding (ICB) under the Single Stage Two-Envelope method.
- Only bidders, who have successfully supplied, installed, commissioned and maintained Application Software for RM within the last 08 years in at least one central bank/monetary authority or two investment banks/two investment managers, with over United States Dollar (USD) 10 billion assets under management in each such entity, are eligible to submit a bid for the above tender. Further, the bidders should have had an average annual turnover of over USD 25 million in the last three financial years and should not have incurred an operating loss in any two of the last five financial years or the last year.
- The proposal for the supply, installation, commissioning, maintenance of the software for RM should cover the following: (a) Application software and DBMS for the Head Office (HO) of the CBSL (primary site), in Colombo.
(b) Application software and DBMS for the Back-up Site (BS) within a radius of 20 km from Colombo.
(c) A detailed specification of the hardware platform/system software on which the proposed application software and DBMS would operate.
(d) Technical support and maintenance services for application software and DBMS must be free of charge during the warranty period of one year.
(e) Technical support and maintenance services should be available for application software and DBMS during the post-warranty period of 07 years.
(f) Training of CBSL staff in the relevant areas.
(g) Technical documentation and operational manuals/user guides related to the system;
and bidders are required to certify in their bids that all software is either covered by a valid licence or is produced by the Bidder.
- Interested bidders may obtain further information on any working day, from the International Operations Department (IOD) of the CBSL and inspect the Bidding Documents at the address given in Clause 17 from 1000 to 1500 hours (GMT+05:30), during the period August 01 - 28, 2019 by requesting an appointment through an email to the address given in Clause 17.
- A complete set of Bidding Documents in a Compact Disc may be purchased by the interested bidders on any working day from August 01, 2019 until 1400 hours (GMT+05:30) on September 12, 2019 upon forwarding a written request on a business letterhead, to the CBSL Head Office at the address given in Clause 17, by making a non-refundable fee of USD 600 or Sri Lankan Rupees (LKR) 108,000. The method of payment will be Cheque/Draft drawn in favor of CBSL. In addition, bidders are able to credit the above fee to the CBSL USD nostro account with Federal Reserve Bank of New York (FRNYUS33) bearing account no. 021083514 SRILA indicating the beneficiary as CBSL (CBCELKLX). In this case, the bidders should submit a written confirmation of the payment on a business letterhead through an email to the address given in Clause 17 once the transfer has been completed to the nostro account. The Bidding Document will be sent by courier to bidders who deposited the fee in the CBSL nostro account and for others the Bidding Document will be made available for collection at the address given in Clause 17.
- Pre-bid meeting to provide clarifications will be held in the presence of bidders or their representatives who choose to attend, at the Conference Room 3 of CBSL Head Office premises at 1400 hours (GMT+05:30) on August 30, 20191. Interested parties can join the Pre-bid meeting through a conference call by prior notice.
- The technical and financial bids each sealed and clearly marked in two separate envelopes, enclosed in an outer envelope should be delivered to the Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee to the address given in Clause 18, no later than 1400 hours (GMT+05:30) on September 12, 2019. The outer envelope should be titled as “Tender for the Supply, Installation, Commissioning, Maintenance of Application Software and Database Management System for Reserve Management”. Late bids will be rejected.
- Technical Bids will be opened by the Bid Opening Committee in the presence of bidders or their representatives who choose to attend, at the Conference Room 2 of CBSL Head Office premises at 1400 hours (GMT+05:30) on September 12, 2019.
- Subsequent to the technical evaluation, financial bids of the substantially responsive bidders, will be opened by the Bid Opening Committee in the presence of bidders or their representatives who choose to attend, at the Conference Room 2 of CBSL Head Office premises at 1400 hours (GMT+05:30) on December 02, 2019(any changes to proposed dates will be notified to all bidders through an Email).
- The bid should be valid for 216 calendar days, starting from September 12, 2019 until April 15, 2020.
- All bids must accompany a bid security of USD 60,000 or LKR 10.8 Million and should be valid until May 13, 2020. Beneficiary of the bid security should be the Monetary Board of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. If the bid security is issued by a foreign bank, such security shall be endorsed by a Licensed Commercial Bank in Sri Lanka.
- Substantially responsive bidders must demonstrate the proposed system at the bidders’ cost, on a day between November 7-15, 2019 (Any changes to proposed dates will be notified to all bidders through an Email) at the CBSL Head Office premises, in line with the Proof of Solution (POS), which will be issued by CBSL on October 14, 20191. For this purpose, technologies such as Webinar could be facilitated upon request in advance and, demonstration solely based on screen shots are unacceptable.
- Substantially responsive bidders must facilitate third party reference checks through conference calls or emails from October 14, 2019 to November 13, 20191, cost of which would be borne by CBSL.
- Lowest Evaluated Bidder (LEB) subsequent to the detailed Technical Evaluation and Financial Bid Evaluation, should facilitate third party reference visits during December 09-30, 20191. The costs of the visits will be borne by CBSL. In the event, the LEB fails to demonstrate the expected level of capacity and competency, the CBSL reserves the right to consider the next LEB and this process may continue until a suitable bidder is selected. In such circumstances, next LEB should facilitate third party reference visits.
- Contact details for inspection/collection of Bidding Document and any clarifications:
Mr. C N Wijayasekera
Project Director, International Operations Department
CBSL Project Office for Procurement of Reserve Management System
Central Bank of Sri Lanka
Level 8, Tower 2, No. 30, Janadhipathi Mawatha, Colombo 01
Tel : +94 112477088; +94 112477066
Fax : +94 112346284 Email :
- Sealed bids in specified forms should be submitted to:
Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee
C/o International Operations Department
Central Bank of Sri Lanka
Level 8, Tower 2, No. 30, Janadhipathi Mawatha, Colombo 01
Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee
Central Bank of Sri Lanka
MINISTRY OF POWER, ENERGY AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
INVITATION BID FOR
Coal Lightering Service for Lakvijaya Power Plant Puttalam,
Sri Lanka from 2019 to 2024 - Tender No. LCC/19/LT/1
The Chairman, Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SCAPC) of Ministry of Power Energy and Business Development – Sri Lanka (MOPE&BD) on behalf of Lanka Coal Company (Private) Limited (LCC) invites sealed BID for Coal Lightering Service for Lakvijaya Power Plant Puttalm, Sri Lanka - 2019/2024, from bidders who wish to submit bids.
LCC was incorporated in January 2008 for the procurement of coal for coal fired power plants in the country. Shares of LCC are held by the Treasury, Ceylon Electricity Board, Sri Lanka Port Authority and Ceylon Shipping Corporation Ltd.
- Contract period is from September 2019 to May 2024.
- Estimated quantity of coal to be delivered is 10,500,000±10% Metric Tons at the option of Ceylon Electricity Board.
- Price shall be quoted per Metric Tons basis in United States Dollars.
- Amount of Bid Security is USD 200,000 and shall be valid up to three months after the closing of the tender.
- Deadline of bid submission is 10.00am (Sri Lanka Standard Time) on 2nd August 2019.
- A complete set of Bidding Document can be obtained for Rs. 250,000 nonrefundable charge by interested applicants on submission of a written request with cash deposited receipt or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt to LCC between 09.00 AM to 04.00 PM (Sri Lanka Standard Time) from 21th June 2019 to 1st August 2019 (one day before the bid closing date) during working days from, Lanka Coal Company (Private) Limited, 51/3, Suranimala Place, Off-Dutugemunu Street, Kohuwala/Dehiwala, Sri Lanka 10350.
Bank Account Particulars,
Name of the Company : Lanka Coal Company (Private) Limited Account Number : 004100130000745 Bank : People's Bank-Corporate Banking Division
No: 35, D.R. Wijewardena Mawatha,
Colombo 10, Sri Lanka
SWIFT Code : PSBKLKLX
- Sealed bid documents shall be delivered to the address given in the above address (point 6), up to 10.00 am (Sri Lanka Standard Time) on 2nd August 2019 and will be opened at 10.15 am on 2nd August 2019.
- Bidders or their authorized representatives (only two persons) may witness the opening of bids.
- Provisions in public contract Act, No. 03 of 1987 of Sri Lanka shall be applicable for this procurement.
- For further details, please contact Procurement Officer at LCC on 011 – 2824681/2 or 071 772 8849 Fax: 011 2824689, e-mail: .
Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee
Ministry of Power, Energy and Business Development.
|LANKA COAL COMPANY (PVT.) LTD
51/3, Suranimala Place, Off-Dutugemunu Street
Kohuwala/Dehiwala, Sri Lanka 10350.
REGISTRATION OF SUPPLIERS TO SUPPLY COAL FOR LAKVIJAYA POWER PLANT-NOROCHCHOLI UNDER SPOT AND TERM TENDERS
Chairman, Special Standing Cabinet Appointed Procurement Committee (SSCAPC) of Ministry of Power and Energy, invites you amongst others to register with Lanka Coal Company (Private) Limited to supply of coal for the 900MW Lakvijaya Coal Power Plant at Puttalam. This invitation is extended on behalf of Lanka Coal Company (Private) Limited (LCC).
Lakvijaya Coal Power Plant (The Plant) of CEB requires 2.25 + 10 % Million MT of coal per year. LCC has been contracted by the CEB to supply entire requirement of coal for The Plant. In order to make sure the guaranteed quality supply of coal to The Plant, LCC decided to select internationally reputed coal suppliers and register them as its coal supplying parties. After the eligible coal suppliers are registered the LCC will call bids only from those who have registered to supply coal for The Plant. Therefore in future open bids will not be called, to supply coal to Lakvijaya Power Plant. However to include new suppliers to the registered list, LCC will call applications to register new suppliers. Therefore new suppliers always can be included in the coal suppliers list and update the list. The registration will be done for three years and can be renewed after evaluation on the criteria for registration. This process will help LCC to build the partnership with coal suppliers, so that unnecessary delays in evaluation of Technical and Financial capabilities of bidders can be avoided. Once the suppliers are registered, only the Price Proposals can be invited from the Registered Suppliers. Registration does not guarantee that the registered suppliers will be awarded a coal supply contract. Bidders must win the tender for that.
The application form can be downloaded here.
Ministry of Housing, Construction & Cultural Affairs has mandated the Construction Industry Development Authority (CIDA) to register the Foreign Contractors involved in identified construction work in Sri Lanka, as per the Section No. 39 of Construction Industry Development Act, No. 33 of 2014.
The regulation on Registration of Foreign Contractors has been published in the Gazette no. 2085/19 dated 23 August 2018.
Instruction for registration, fees including the application form relating to the registration process can be downloaded from CIDA website.
Sri Lanka has many assets to attract investors. Among many others, some of them are
- Its geographic key position in the Indian Ocean and on the New Silk Road;
- Its well trained, qualified and high committing staff;
- Best developing country in South Asia and best developing emerging country worldwide (reference: Bertelsmann Report 2018);
- Its stable Democracy, complying to international standards;
- Highest standards of respect and protection of environment and working conditions in South Asia;
The Board of Investment of Sri Lanka (BOI) is dedicated to assist all investors who wish to invest in Sri Lanka or are considering Sri Lanka as an investment opportunity. It was established in 1978 targeting on the development of the surrounding vicinity of Colombo. In 1992, its mandate was enlarged to the entire country.
The BOI has determined six sectors of investment and encourages international stake holders to invest in those domains.
The sectors are:
- Value Added Manufacturing
- Information Technology Enabled Services
- Tourism & Leisure
- Large Scale Infrastructure
If you wish to invest in one of the above or any other domain, BOI will be happy to assist you in
- Visa Facilitation
- Engineering Approvals
- Environmental Clearances
- Legal Services
- Import/Export Facilitation
- Industrial Labor Relations
- Zone Management/ Regional Offices
For further information, please visit www.investsrilanka.com.
Current Calls for Tenders:
Bid forms are available at the Sri Lanka Embassy in 1040 Vienna, Weyringergasse 33 - 35, 4th floor.
Procurement of Switches, Crossing and Crossing Check Rails (EN45 E1 Rail Section) to Sri Lanka Railways - Procurement no. SRS/F.7630
Closing date: 05 August 2019
The Procurement Notice may be downloaded here.